Our Lady of Lesniów
Our Lady of Leśniów
The devotion to Our Lady of Leśniów is closely connected with the cult of Our Lady of Częstochowa. In 1382 Prince Ladislaus of Opole (Władysław Opolczyk), unsuccessfully looking for water in the area of today’s Leśniów, prayed to Virgin Mary and was granted an extraordinary favour, because all of a sudden an abundant spring burst forth, starting the stream of Leśniówka, flowing here until now. In gratitude Prince Ladislaus left in the chapel at the spring a wooden figure that he was carrying together with the picture of Black Madonna. The Gothic statue, 70 cm tall is to be found today in the main altar of the shrine and is an object of special devotion. In 1967 the statue was crowned by the Primate Stefan Wyszyński and Cardinal Karol Wojtyła. Our Lady of Leśniów is worshipped as the patron of families. Many miraculous physical and spiritual cures have been wrought here. The register of favours bestowed upon people visiting Leśniów, kept by the Pauline Fathers since 1706, contains several thousands of events. The shrine with its complex of monastery buildings housing the Pauline novitiate and Our Lady Church with the Miraculous Figure of Our Lady the Patron of Families has become a local pilgrimage centre.